Re: [patch] breakable markups

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Re: [patch] breakable markups
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 23:36:30 +0200

Joe Neeman <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sunday 03 June 2007 23:01, Nicolas Sceaux wrote:

> I should be finished with this semester's exams in a couple weeks and I can
> have a look at things then. If you're not that patient, however, or you'd
> rather do them yourself, I've suggested a few things below.

I'm in no hurry... just feeling in a lily hacking mood these days, and
this mood may disappear as quickly as it came. Anyway, thanks for the
hints (and good luck for your exams).

>>  2. setting the next-space or next-padding properties to zero results to
>>     wrong spacing. The stencils should just be stacked with no extra
>>     space between them.
> [...]
>>  3. setting next-padding and next-space to almost zero make the lines
>>     stick one to the other only if there is an other object (like a
>>     score) on the page. Otherwise, the lines are spread over the
>>     page. This is not consistent.
>
> If each of the "blabla" lines has a very stiff vertical spring and
> the "system" line has a relatively loose vertical spring then it would
> explain what you are seeing. The first page has a relatively small force
> which hardly affects the blablah springs but has a big effect on the system
> spring. The second page requires a very strong force to fit the lines in at
> all, so it stretches out the stiff blabla springs. I'm not sure how you would
> fix it,though.

I understand what's happening, but one should expect that lines with
null next-padding and next-space are stacked without extra space between
them nevertheless.  (Ok here the next-padding and next-spacing are not
exactly null, because of issue 2.). Maybe solving the null padding and
spacing issue will solve (or will mean solving) this one too.

nicolas