Doc split: "program usage"

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Doc split: "program usage"
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 21:46:47 -0700

I'd like to have a new manual "book": Program usage. This book would include the INSTALL docs, and chapters 13-15 (running lilypond, lilypond-book, and converting) from the existing manual. Basically, the "user manual" deals with the .ly file format, and the "program usage" does everything else. I've never been happy with the final chapters of the current user manual; I think this is the right solution.

Unfortunately, this requires some playing with low-level texinfo and the makefiles; I'm not comfortable with either of them.

John, I think you're quite familiar with our build system and whatnot from all the translation stuff -- could you create the basic framework for this? Once it's there, I'll rewrite the INSTALL, potentially add chapters, potentially rework the current chapters 13-15 (in the new document), etc; I'm just not certain how to get our build system to compile docs from:

lilypond.tely
program.tely

in the same directory. (assuming that it's ok to have this in Documentation/user/ ... I suppose that another option is to create Documentation/program/ )