Re: Updates and corrections patches

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Updates and corrections patches
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 18:12:28 +0200

Le dimanche 02 septembre 2007 à 17:37 +0300, Till Rettig a écrit :
[...]
>  Shouldn't we include the .po files also into check-translation

No, because POs and .(i)telys translation work very differently;
check-translation don't modify any file and is used for one language at
once, whereas po-update modify files for all languages.

>  and make the generation a bit more often in order to get the updated
> files and see conveniently what should be updated? Well, I don't know
> anything about the system how it generates the new entries --

See gettext manual for details.

>  just saw that in the recent update that I made they were put on top
> of old entries, thus leaving the old (wrong) translation valid -- but
> marked it with fuzzy. This is of course also a posibility to see what
> has been changed...

Fuzzy entries are not valid, i.e. gettext don't use them when looking
for translations.

> > @file and @samp are not macros, they are built-in Texinfo functions.
> > 'make web' Texinfo should handle accents generated by @-commands
> > according to @documentlanguage.  This makes me think there is still a
> > shitload of i18n feature requests to be sent to Texinfo developers, but
> > this is more easy to say than to do: as they don't have oodles of time,
> > it's important to send one small and clear request at once, as it's has
> > been done for non-English quotes.
> >

> Did I understand right: the feature is requested but it will take its
> time until sombody impelements it?

Not really.  There are two related but different features: support for
printing non-English quotes, which has been implemented, and using the
right quotes according to @documentlanguage in output of @-commands,
which has not.

Cheers,
John