Re: Git help

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: Git help
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:17:36 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, Rune Zedeler wrote:

> It seems that the problem is that I changed MY_PATCH_LEVEL to rz1.
> Problem is, that master just updated PATCH_LEVEL from 32 to 33, and because
> MY_PATCH_LEVEL and PATCH_LEVEL are defined right next to each other, the
> automerge fails.
>
> I resolved the conflict manually.
> Try again, Valentin.
>
> What is the recommended way of doing this? Do I really have to manually
> edit and push my own branch each time the master branch changes version?

No, you usually do not merge all too often, since the purpose of your
branch -- at least as far as I can tell -- is a specific topic.

So you usually work on that topic, not merging with upstream at all, or at
least only rarely, and then only to check if it merges, and _undoing_ the
merge right away.

When your topic has evolved to a state where you think it should go to
mainline, you rebase it.  Meaning that git takes all your commits since
the branch point, and grafts them on top of the upstream branch.  This can
be accomplished by the simple command "git rebase <upstream>".  (It is
easiest if your development was linear after branching off).

Then you ask people to review your changes, and then your branch can be
merged _trivially_, since it is a fast forward.

Hth,
Dscho