Re: Copyright, new branches etc

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: Copyright, new branches etc
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:47:54 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> When you've successfully pulled over ssh, you can create a new branch by
> doing
>
>   git push master:dev/rlittle
>
> Johannes, are there any more finegrined access control mechanisms to
> control who can fastforward which branches?

You could, if you had shell access to the server.

But I suggest something completely different: you already have a
lilypond.git/ on repo.or.cz.  Alas, it is quite outdated.

Maybe you want to ask Pasky to change it to a Mirror of nongnu.org?

Then everything would get easy: everybody who feels like it just _forks_
the project.

And whenever you want to get something from such a fork, you create a
"remote" (if you haven't done already) with "git remote add -f <nick>
<url>", or just fetch from it with "git fetch <nick>".

The beauty of Git is that it does not care from where you fetched it.
Content is king, and Git can easily find the branch points, cherry-pick
single patches, merge, etc.

So I really strongly suggest not doing everything in one repository (the
central way, as you were used to with CVS), but go distributed.

Ciao,
Dscho