webspace for GDP

From: Graham Percival
Subject: webspace for GDP
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 14:18:14 -0700

Thanks for all the offers for hosting! I should mention some cautions, though. There are two ways of doing this:

RSYNC

The documentation is about 150 megs, including all the languages, images, snippets, and the like. Let's say that we're look at up to 200 megs for the next six months. (at that point GDP will be over)

A bigger concern is that I need to update the docs every day. Via rsync, I'm guessing it's about 10 megs of traffic on average. It depends whether I've been changing any macros (= lots of HTML pages modified) or just adding new sections. However, there are 12,999 files for rsync to examine for changes. That's still a huge amount of traffic, even if nothing was actually updated.

(you see now why I wanted to have it locally, so that all this traffic would be over ethernet)

BUILDING DOCS LOCALLY

An alternative to full rsync is to build the docs locally. That's actually what I do now. I installed a bunch of programs, so on the webserver I just do a "git pull; makedocs; publishdocs" to update stuff. That results in pulling about 5k of doc source file changes, and the server handles everything else.

There are two problems to this one. First, building the docs takes about an hour. If this server is in your basement, that's no problem. If it's a co-location host where you pay for CPU usage, this _is_ a problem.

Second, you need a bunch of programs not commonly found on a webserver:
git
texinfo
texi2html (maybe)
netpbm
latex
imagemagick
ghostscript
... probably a few I've missed...

The one plus side is that the actual web traffic will probably be about 5 megs per day. There are currently two people working on GDP, and they only need to look at a few doc sections each week. (unfortunately, I can't easily restrict the doc build to only those sections)

I expect the problems with opihi to be resolved on Monday. We host real research on this webserver (a couple of published papers direct people to examples found on the server), so it should be a priority for the IT guys. And it's not the computer itself; I can view the files just fine if I connect from campus. It just doesn't work from off-campus. :(

My general impression is that it's not worth moving the server unless there's a GDP helper who wants to build the docs themselves anyway. That said, I might be overestimating the charges for uploading material to a webserver, or the price of storage, or something. I readily admit that the last time I looked at commercial web hosting was about ten years ago.

Whatever happens with the GDP output, I'm going to move the files for GDP helpers to a different server. My main university account only gives me 5 megs, but that's plenty of space for those files.