Git - testing whether merge is possible

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Git - testing whether merge is possible
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 15:42:22 +0100

I am a bit surprised that I found no git-documentation on how to test whether it will be possible to merge two branches without actually recording the merge.

If I understand the docs correctly, this has to be done like this:

$ git merge --squash ...
$ git reset --mixed HEAD

... (test whether working tree is indeed working)

$ git reset --hard HEAD

Which I really find non-trivial. Especially I do not like that you have to update the index and reset it again at the start. I would prefer to be able to do something like this without touching anything but the working tree.
Have I misunderstood something?

-Rune