Re: \set does not work ???

From: Eyolf Østrem
Subject: Re: \set does not work ???
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 14:48:32 +0100

On 21.11.2007 (11:34), Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> 2007/11/21, Rune Zedeler <address@hidden>:
> > The following gives a syntax error:
> >
> > \set Staff.Tie #'transparent = ##t
> >
> > but if I replace with
> >
> > \revert Staff.Tie #'transparent \override Staff.Tie #'transparent = ##t
> >
> > then the error disappears - and it seems to be working.
> > I do not understand this - the two constructs should be synonymous.
>
> No, you're wrong. Perhaps it's confusing due to the terminology from
> the time you last hacked LilyPond, but \set works on context
> properties, and \override on grob properties (or: more exactly:
> context properties that contain the initialization of immutable grob
> properties.)

Out of curiosity, but also with an eye to the GDP and future revisions: (1) is
there a reason for this distinction (I'm sure there is), and (2) is there
an easy way to explain it? The section \set vs \override in the docs refers
to define-grobs.scm "to see what kind of settings they are", but other than
that, it seems that the case of the property names is the only guide the
poor user has.
I know what I usually do: trial and error, starting with \override, which
usually works for the things I do....

Eyolf

--
Luke can't levitate his X-Wing out of the bog.
Luke Skywalker: