\times -> \tuplet (was Re: Issue 566 in lilypond: showStaffSwitch -> \st

From: John Mandereau
Subject: \times -> \tuplet (was Re: Issue 566 in lilypond: showStaffSwitch -> \staffSwitchOn)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 15:38:59 +0100

[moved from bug-lilypond to -devel]
Le dimanche 27 janvier 2008 à 13:17 +0100, Hans Aberg a écrit :
> On 27 Jan 2008, at 12:23, Graham Percival wrote:
>
> >> And what about renaming \times to \tuplet? ;)
> >
> > I think that everybody agreed with it.  Some people wanted a weird
> > \tuplet 3:4 { } syntax as well, but after discussion it was
> > pointed out that this wouldn't work in scheme.
> >
> > Certainly everybody agreed that \times -> \tuplet was good.
> > However... since this change _will_ change so many files, could
> > you prepare a diff and/or push to your local git branch, then
> > check on -devel for any last-minute objections?

I don't think preparing such a simple (i.e. without the result of
running convert-ly) patch is needed; let's wait for a few days for any
objections, then let's make the change, as for #563 and #564.

> Note the difference:
>    \times 3/4 {...}
> means a quadruplet, though in music, it would be more natural to write
>    \tuplet 4/3 {...}
> or
>    \tuplet 4:3 {...}
> (I think this may make a difference in some more complex situations,
> but I do not recall any immediate example.)

There has already been a *huge* thread on the -user list about this, and
the conclusion was that the only realistic change we could do was
renaming \times to \tuplet, and nothing else; the point of my remark in
the bug tracker was to ask developers' opinion about actually doing
this, and not about reopening the discussion -- unless you have new
ideas, of course.

Cheers,
John