Geting the list of MIDI instrument names

From: Wilbert Berendsen
Subject: Geting the list of MIDI instrument names
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:45:16 +0100

Hi,

I'm looking for a stable way to get the list of supported MIDI instrument
names from LilyPond, by running lilypond -e with a scheme expression to do
just that (and not print a regular ps/pdf file).

It's for my plugin that could offer a nice help window to quickly assign a
midi instrument to a staff.

Of course I could just include the list verbatim in my plugin, or even try to
parse midi.scm myself :-O but I just wonder if there would be an elegant way
to get the list...

best regards!
Wilbert Berendsen

--