Re: GDP? bug in tutorial, Windows section

From: Till Rettig
Subject: Re: GDP? bug in tutorial, Windows section
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 09:29:45 +0200

Mats Bengtsson schrieb:
till wrote:

Paco Vila wrote:

Hello all,

In the tutorial, under @subsubheading Windows, at the end of 2nd
paragraph (line 148) it says

Double-click the
icon to type in your LilyPond source code as before.

Am I wrong, or this makes to process the file rather than editing it?
Or, it should say "typeset" for "process" instead of "type in"?

Maybe the right writing would be

Edit it and then double-click its icon to process the file as before.

You are probably right, this is not consistent. It could also just be:
"double click on the icon to process your source code as before."

Perhaps you are mixing two different things. If you double-click
the LilyPond icon on the desktop, then the editor is opened, with
the small template file containing a greeting message and a scale.
If, instead, you double-click on a .ly file, then that file is processed.
To edit an existing file, right-click on the file and choose Edit.
This will still use the very rudimentary LilyPad editor, though.
Yes, I was first also thinking there was some misunderstanding, but if you read the phrase it is quite unclear:

To edit an existing .ly file, right-click on it and select “Edit source”. To get an empty file to start from, run the editor as described above and use “New” in the “File” menu, or right-click on the desktop and select “New..Text Document”, change its name to a name of your choice and change the file extension to .ly. Double-click the icon to type in your LilyPond source code as before.

The las sentence is just not needed, because it is the same as the second sentence in this paragraph. I think the last sentence really means how to process the file, not how to open it.

Till

   /Mats