Re: GDP: new Text documentation

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GDP: new Text documentation
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 12:28:08 -0700

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 11:05:52 +0200
"Valentin Villenave" <address@hidden> wrote:

>     * 1.8.2 Formatting text
>           o 1.8.2.1 Introduction to markup mode
>                             ( \markup basics; basic text alignment)
>           o 1.8.2.2 Common markup commands
>                             ( \bold, \italic etc; advanced text
> alignment )

Separate the alignment and put it all in its own subsubsection.

Include \concat in .1

Add things like \roman to .2

actually, now I'm wondering if it's worth expanding 1.8.2 this way
at all.  Once B.6 has examples for everything, it'll be pretty
easy to understand.  I can see a need to explain things like
nesting
  \markup { \bold foo bar }
vs
  \markup { \bold {foo bar} }
and perhaps some alignment, but other than that it might be better
just to point people at B.6.

Hey, scheme guys: how hard would it be to introduce our own sorting to
B.6 ?  scm/document-markup.scm contains this:

(define (markup-doc-string)
  (string-append

   "@table @asis"
   (apply string-append

          (map doc-markup-function
               (sort markup-function-list markup-function<?)))
   "address@hidden table"))

which sorts things alphabetically.  Could we instead group things by
function... ideally with our own headings?  ie

@subsubheading Alignment
\center-align
\column

@subsubheading Text display