Re: nitpicks for web branch

From: Jean-Charles Malahieude
Subject: Re: nitpicks for web branch
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 19:50:12 +0200

Le 08.04.2008 08:22, John Mandereau disait :
Le lundi 07 avril 2008 à 22:44 +0200, Jean-Charles Malahieude a écrit :
Hi John, and fellow translators,

Having tried to run John's update to the procedures at top of the README file, it did not work on my Mandriva; so I explored I found this workaround that works for me.

Thanks for the report, and sorry for the confusion.  I pushed a fix to
Git which is slighly different from your patch: I put the mkdir command
after 'git init-db' and the right directory to make.  Does it work for
you too?

Concerning the "-p" flag to mkdir, it was in order do create the
directory at once (I mean with the full depth in one pass).  Otherwise,
I get a "mkdir: ne peut créer le répertoire `.git/remotes/zut':Aucun
fichier ou répertoire de ce type"

I tried the same way with the master branch. It is all right as long as I don't have any temptation to fetch any branch that happens to havea composite name (ie. lilypond/translation or dev/...). It is too bad for me, since I would like not to have to clone the entire repository with all its branches: I am just interested in translation and documentation issues, without having to -- sot of -- duplicate directories on my box.

Did you fetch branches on an old Git repository?  Just like me, there
might be staled refs/heads/dev or refs/heads/remotes/origin/lilypond
files; just delete them and it should work.  If it doesn't, please send
exact error messages.

So I did, in a brand new clean and empty directory:
==============
mkdir Sources
cd Sources/
git init-db
mkdir .git/remotes
emacs .git/remotes/trans&
   filled with:
    Pull: lilypond/translation:refs/remotes/origin/lilypond/translation

emacs .git/remotes/master&
   filled with:
    Pull: master:refs/remotes/origin/master

emacs .git/remotes/tki2html&
   filled with:
    Pull: dev/texi2html:refs/remotes/origin/dev/texi2html

git fetch trans
git checkout -b lilypond/translation origin/lilypond/translation
git fetch master
git checkout -b master origin/master
git fetch tki2html
git checkout -b dev/texi2html origin/dev/texi2html

and it works perfectly: I can see everything, switch to or pull the branch I want with gitview without any pb.

There was obviously some pollution anywhere...

@+
Jean-Charles