Re: predefined commands for figured bass

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: predefined commands for figured bass
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 13:59:40 -0700

On Fri, 23 May 2008 14:12:49 -0600
"Carl D. Sorensen" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Here are some proposed predefined commands for Figured Bass:
>
> bassFigureStaffAlignmentDown = {
>   \override Staff.BassFigureAlignmentPositioning #'direction = #DOWN
> }
>
> bassFigureStaffAlignmentUp = {
>   \revert Staff.BassFigureAlignmentPositioning #'direction
> }

The other Up/Down commands use Neutral for the \revert.  Granted,
in this case you generally don't have lilypond choosing which
direction to place these objects, but I think it's still worth
following that standard.

> bassFigureStackingUp = {
>   \override Staff.BassFigureAlignment #'stacking-dir = #1
>   \override BassFigureAlignment #'stacking-dir = #1
> }
>
> bassFigureStackingDown = {
>   \revert Staff.BassFigureAlignment #'stacking-dir
>   \revert BassFigureAlignment #'stacking-dir
> }

Same as above.

> bassFigureExtendersOn = {
>   \set useBassFigureExtenders = ##t
>   \set Staff.useBassFigureExtenders = ##t
> }
>
> bassFigureExtendersOff = {
>   \set useBassFigureExtenders = ##f
>   \set Staff.useBassFigureExtenders = ##f
> }

These are fine.

> bassFigureAlterationsRight = {
>   \set figuredBassAlterationDirection = #RIGHT
>   \set Staff.figuredBassAlterationDirection = #RIGHT
> }
>
> bassFigureAlterationsLeft = {
>   \set figuredBassAlterationDirection = #LEFT
>   \set Staff.figuredBassAlterationDirection = #LEFT
> }
>
> bassFigurePlusRight = {
>   \set figuredBassPlusDirection = #RIGHT
>   \set Staff.figuredBassPlusDirection = #RIGHT
> }
>
> bassFigurePlusLeft = {
>   \set figuredBassPlusDirection = #LEFT
>   \set Staff.figuredBassPlusDirection = #LEFT
> }

Are these really so important to the notation that we need
predefined commands for them?  How often do people want to change
the default Alterations/Plus placement?  These might be better
just shown with snippets.

* note that I know little about figured bass.