invoking lilypond from a java application

From: Nikolaus Maly
Subject: invoking lilypond from a java application
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 11:53:44 +0200 (CEST)

Hi everybody,

I started to work on a java program recently to generate some music which
I would like to score in lilypond. (By the way, chapeau! all the
developpers did a great job, I am amazed about the options of lilypond!)
My program generates *.ly file which I then compile.

Well, I have no problems invoking lilypond from the shell, but I wish to
invoke it directly from within my java application, to compile and
to display the score (I think of using jPedal...).
Actually this should not be very difficult (using the Runtime class), but
nevertheless I can't figure out the right commands -
(I just started working with Mac/Leopard
and I am not very familiar with the shell commands and also my knowledge
of java has its boundaries.)

So I would appreciate it very much if someone can give me some ideas how
to compile *.ly file directly from within a java application!?

Thank you and sunny days,

Niko