Re: plz help about lily.......

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: plz help about lily.......
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 17:29:32 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008, Trevor Daniels wrote:

> John Mandereau wrote Saturday, June 21, 2008 7:48 PM
>
> > Are you sure it's not possible to build LilyPond on Windows with
> > MinGW? AFAIK nobody has ever done it, but it's certainly possible,
> > maybe with some changes in the build system needed.
>
> John, you shouldn't dangle tempations like that in front of me - I'm
> supposed to be helping with the documentation! I've resisted installing
> Linux, but that is going to be harder to resist!

Okay, I'll help you resist.

Getting LilyPond to compile in MinGW is awsomely hard.  Not only does
LilyPond have a gazillion of dependencies (just think of guile, python, or
freetype), a few of them are impossible to compile in MinGW itself
(Python, guile).

A few years ago, I spent a week trying to get it to compile, but it is
just not worth the effort.

Ciao,
Dscho