Re: New predefined command

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: New predefined command
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 19:02:10 -0700

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 6:26 PM, Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 18:02:11 -0700
> "Patrick McCarty" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Actually, there are currently five possible states: default, up, down,
>> bracket, and parenthesis.  So we need to find a solution that will
>> take everything into account.
>>
>> How about a compromise? -- Keep \arpeggioNeutral, but only use it to
>> revert \arpeggioUp and \arpeggioDown.  Then use \..Up and \..Down
>> commands for the bracket and parenthesis states:
>>
>> \arpeggioUp
>> \arpeggioDown
>> \arpeggioNeutral
>> \arpeggioBracketOn
>> \arpeggioBracketOff
>> \arpeggioParenOn
>> \arpeggioParenOff
>>
>> How does this look?
>
> The confusion arises because \*Up, \*Down, \*Neutral are generally
> used for directions -- ie above or below the staff.  There's two
> decisions to make:
>
> 1.  Should we re-use these direction-commands to produce
> non-direction symbols?  I would say no.

Thanks for clarifying this point.  I agree.

> 2.  If not, how do we indicate the 5 states listed above?
> \arpeggioNormal
> \arpeggioPointUp
> \arpeggioPointDown
> \arpeggioBracket
> \arpeggioParenthesis

"Point" is okay.  Another possibility could be "ArrowUp" and
"ArrowDown".  I like \arpeggioNormal, but if it is intended to be a
"generic" command, it would need to include reverts for the 'stencil,
'arpeggio-direction, and 'X-extent properties.  This isn't ideal, but
it might be a workable solution.

Thanks,
Patrick