Re: Lilypond working on Mac OS X 10.5, thanks

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: Lilypond working on Mac OS X 10.5, thanks
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 15:40:05 -0600

On 7/2/08 3:04 PM, "James E. Bailey" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am 02.07.2008 um 22:50 schrieb Carl D. Sorensen:
>

> It's the first I've heard of such a thing, and it might persuade me to
> distributed PPC binary, so I kinda want to keep that, and right now, I
> just turn point-and-click off in every file (it's kind of annoying to
> accidentally click something in a score and then have to force-quit
> the lilypad.
>
> But, from a standardization point of view, why not just scrap the
> lilypad on OSX altogether? None of the other platforms have a built-in
> editor, it's confusing to have a broken editor on the macintosh, and
> it would probably be easier to just leave that bit out (of the 10.5
> branch) at least.
>
> Thats my 0.2ยข

For me, the desire was to have a native intel LilyPond, rather than having
to use whatever the name of the emulator is ...

Apparently (as far as I can see from the bug-tracker), the native intel
command-line app is broken in the GUB, just like the GUI is.

In order for the lilypond binary to work as I've currently compiled it, I
think that it needs to be compiled under macports; macports does all of the
work of getting guile and everything else.  I think that the GUB doesn't
work any more in intel mode because the development tools are broken.

So, what I want to do as a (new) Mac user is:

1.  Compile my own binary in intel mode (really easy to do with Nicolas'
excellent instructions).

2.  Figure out some way to get a point-and-click response from my pdf viewer
(which can apparently be done now with Christopher's scripts).

3.  Get a nice editor for working on lilypond files in MacOS. I've tried
emacs, and haven't yet got the kinks worked out.  I've tried LilyPondTool,
but can't get it to complile.  I like the idea of working with
TexShop/TextEdit, since I'm using that for documents anyway.

Carl