Re: Harp Pedals?

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Harp Pedals?
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 17:18:06 +0200

Am Freitag, 15. August 2008 schrieb Reinhold Kainhofer:
> > I haven't read all the code yet, but I do think you should check if
> > the fourth character in the entry string is a pipe; that would make
> > the users more comfortable.
>
> Okay, I can do this...

Attached is a version, which adds some sanity checks (7 pedals, one divider
after third diagram) and prints out warnings if they are violated, but still
prints the diagram gracefully. Unfortunately, I don't know how to print the
current position in the lilypond file so that the users can find which harp
pedal call might be wrong.
I also tried implementing circled pedals (\harp-pedal #"ov^-|o-v^-", where
the "o" before a pedal indicates a circled pedal), but couldn't get it to
work properly :(

I'm having some issues, though:

1) It seems that the diagram has zero extent, so that it overlaps with the
staff and other diagrams. How can I make the stencil (created by stencil-add)
use the bounding box off all combined stencils?

2) How can I draw an ellipse around an object in lilypond? I only cound find
(circle-stencil stencil linewidth padding)... However, this places the circle
always at the horizontal line, even if the box stencil is placed
higher/lower. Furthermore its radius is too small to surround the box. And of
course, I don't want a circle but rather a vertical ellipse. See the last
diagram in the .ly file...

3) To make it more customizable, I'd like the user to be able to tweak the
linethickness, the spacing between the boxes, the box offsets and the box
width/heights. What's the proper way to do this?

Does anyone have an idea how I can solve these issues?

> > One more possible improvement: if you look well at the jpeg sample
> > Steve provided us with in the first place, you'll see that the
> > vertical line is actually at the middle of the horizontal line
>
> If you look a little closer, it is not exactly in the middle. The
> reason is that each of the box and divider glyphs of the font have
> the same with, but the space on the left is a little larger than to
> the right of the boxes and the divider, thus making it look
> asymmetric.

I've now defined two space variables, one for spaces before the divider and
one for spaces after the first divider. Currently, I both set them to the
same value, though.

Cheers,
Reinhold

- --