Re: Merging dev/texi2html [was: Re: Clean history]

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Merging dev/texi2html [was: Re: Clean history]
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 19:39:15 +0200

Am Dienstag, 19. August 2008 schrieb John Mandereau:
> > A simply "git merge dev/texi2html" in
> > master will do exactly that, without any conflicts to resolve, since I've
> > already done that in dev/texi2html.
>
> I'd like this to happen as soon as possible, because I'd like to
> rename some files (add_html_footer.py -> postprocess_html.py,
> doclang-*.make -> doc-i18n-user-*.make) and enable PDF generation fr
> the IR and the Spanish bigpage LM, which will be easier for me if we
> use texi2html on master.

Okay, that's fine with me.

> However, texi2html 1.79 has not been
> released yet, we should wait for it before merging into master; I'm
> bugging Patrice about this.

That's kind of a deadlock: We don't wan to merge before 1.79 is released on
the one hand, while on the other hand, once 1.79 is released and we find
problems in texi2html (which happened quite frequently, as the lilypond docs
are pushing anything to its absolute limits ;-) ), we are stuck with them...

> > I'm not aware of any major problems with dev/texi2html.
>
> I forgot to update my CVS snapshot of texi2html, so I had strange
> results,

;-)

> Even if there
> are no major problems, expect me to overhaul makefiles bits dealing
> with .xref-map files:
> * make rules are forbidden in {fr,es,de}/*GNUmakefiles, only variables
> specific to each language are allowed there;

That was the only way I saw to force creation of the .xref-map files...

I had
local-WWW-1: $(MASTER_TEXI_FILES) $(PDF_FILES) $(XREF_MAP_FILES)
in  make/doclang-targets.make and
XREF_MAP_FILES := $(TELY_FILES:%.tely=$(outdir)/%.xref-map)
in make/doclang-vars.make, but for whatever reason, the .xref-map files were
not generated, so I had to hardcode them in the {fr,es,de}/user/GNUmakefile.

> * hardcoding the list of our doc manuals in the .xref-map file list
> makes makefiles not very maintainable;

Same reason as the rules in langs/user/GNUmakefile: The generic way didn't
work for me...

> * IMHO symlinking .xref-map files is a bit messy, it's cleaner to
> write them in a toplevel directory e.g.
> XREF_MAPS_DIR=(top-build-dir)/out/xref-maps and add
> --I=$(XREF_MAPS_DIR) to texi2html command line.

Actually, this will not work, since the English, German, French and Spanish
documentation all will have e.g. a file named lilypond.xref-map, each with
its own translated node names... The only reason why symlinks are needed is
that the snippets are completely out of the doc tree and the IR is available
only in english and thus not in the languages' directories.

BTW, looking at Documentation/user/GNUmakefile, I'm wondering why the
lilypond-internals.texi rule uses --verbose. This prints about 2 pages of
path information during the build...

> I've started handling all this, I'll push to dev/texi2html when it works.

Feel free to do anything you like with dev/texi2html

Cheers,
Reinhold

- --