Re: Lilypond code/feature freeze for 2.12

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Lilypond code/feature freeze for 2.12
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 17:09:05 +0200

2008/9/21 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:

> Let me put it this way: when you read an announcement of a new
> release in some other software (say, audacity or freeciv), how
> much do you want to read?  My guess is less than a page of text.
> The current release is two pages.  It definitely shouldn't be
> longer.

It didn't seem so long when I first read it. In fact, I like to read
changelogs. A good (IMO) example is the recent announcement for VLC
media player:
http://wiki.videolan.org/What_is_cool_in_0.9/

> WTM does "X new features" mean?  I mean, is vertical collision
> avoidance one "feature", and pointAndClick{On/Off} another
> "feature"?  This is a completely vacuous phrase.

Yes, that what's cool about it :-)
If you used to read distributions release announcements like I do,
you'd see what I mean.

> It might be good to prepare a "STFU newb and read the News" page
> on the wiki, though.  That way you can just paste the link to
> there, instead of wasting time writing paragraphs and paragraphs
> of helpful text for each frequently asked question like you
> normally do.

Yes, John and I are planning to work on the Wiki soon (even if the
word "soon" has lost most of its meaning to me lately).

> Sounds good.  John, send it to Valentin; Valentin, send it to
> Trevor.  I no longer have the actual release-notes.txt file, so
> make sure you don't lose your copy.

OK.

Cheers,
Valentin