[Patch] Additional fields for the header

From: John Zaitseff
Subject: [Patch] Additional fields for the header
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 09:54:07 +1100

Dear LilyPond developers,

I hope it's not too late to suggest the patch attached to this
e-mail...  If at all possible, I would like to see the following
added to the header block (ie, additional fields for titles):

  number       - The score number, if part of a book, to be printed
                 to the left of the title.
  translator   - Self-explanatory, I hope!
  harmoniser   - Self-explanatory

For example:

  \header {
      number     = "62"
      title      = "Когда в нашей жизни, бывает"
      poet       = "В. П. Зайцева"
      composer   = "В. П. Зайцева"
      harmoniser = "П. Косицын"
      style      = "Hymn"
  }

The patch also rearranges the titles slightly in the case that one
or more of the header fields are not present.  For example, many of
the hymns I am entering (in Russian) have a poet and an arranger
only.  Currently, these appear on two separate lines.  The patch
would rearrange them to appear on one line only.  Of course, if
fields are present, the current arrangements will hold:

  "                 dedication                 "
  "number             title                    "
  "                  subtitle                  "
  "                subsubtitle                 "
  "poet             instrument         composer"
  "translator                          arranger"
  "meter                             harmoniser"

If, for example, translator, composer and harmoniser are not
present, the arrangement would be:

  "                 dedication                 "
  "number             title                    "
  "                  subtitle                  "
  "                subsubtitle                 "
  "poet             instrument         arranger"
  "meter                                       "

I have successfully used a variant of this patch in my own
stylesheet, for LilyPond 2.10.33.

If this patch is accepted, I don't mind trying to create the
appropriate one for the documentation!

Yours truly,

John Zaitseff

--
John Zaitseff                    ,--_|\    The ZAP Group
Phone:  +61 2 9643 7737         /      \   Sydney, Australia