Re: shorthand for autoBeam control

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: shorthand for autoBeam control
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 19:23:38 -0400

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 3:23 AM, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:

Trevor, you wrote Thursday, October 23, 2008 11:26 PM

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 4:27 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> Please don't change c[ ]!

Do you really mean that you've used, say,

 a b[] c

within your score?  Currently, this is an undocumented feature, so you
are use something from the darker corners of lilypond...

Darker corners, indeed.

:-)

The two snippets attached here come from the commission I just finished up
in February ...

In general I'm using the two-sided nibs or stubs to indicate a lone note
(ie, preceded and followed by a rest) sitting within a governing beam. (100%
of the beaming in my scores like this is manual.)

Maybe a quick mention of c[ ] in the manual could alert other modern(ist)
composers of the availability of the feature?

Happy to do so.  Could you please provide a minimal snippet to show
how this might be used in practice?  The examples you attached are
too complex to illustrate the point, and the simplistic examples I've tried
don't look good.

OK, great!

Maybe something like this?

%%%%%%% FLAT FLAGS & BEAM NIBS %%%%%

Flat flags on lone notes and beam nibs at the ends of beamed figures are both possible with a combination of stemLeftBeamCount, stemRightBeamCount and paired [ ] beam indicators.

For right-pointing flat flags on lone notes, use paired [ ] beam indicators and set stemRightBeamCount to zero.

  \new RhythmicStaff {
    \set stemRightBeamCount = #0
    c'16 [ ]
    r8.
  }

For left-pointing flat flags, set stemRightBeamCount instead.

  \new RythmicStaff {
    r8.
    \set stemRightBeamCount = #0
    c'16 [ ]
  }

For right-pointing nibs at the end of a run of beamed notes, set stemRightBeamCount to a positive value. And for left-pointing nibs at the start of a run of beamed notes, set  stemLeftBeamCount instead.

  \new RhythmicStaff {
    c'16
    c'16
    \set stemRightBeamCount = #2
    c'16
    r16
    r16
    \set stemLeftBeamCount = #2
    c'16
    c'16
    c'16
  }

Sometimes it may make sense for a lone note surrounded by rests to carry both a left- and right-pointing flat flag. Do this with paired [ ] beam indicators alone.

  \new RhythmicStaff {
     c'16
     c'16
     \set stemRightBeamCount = #2
     c'16
     r16
     c'16 [ ]
     r16
     \set stemLeftBeamCount = #2
     c'16
     c'16
  }

%%%%%%%%%

Writing these, I realize that we get more realistic examples with paired [ ] beam indicators combined with stemLeftBeamCount / stemRightBeamCount. So the examples here introduce both.

Do these help?

--
Trevor Bača
address@hidden