Re: A beam positioning question

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: A beam positioning question
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 16:10:23 +0100

These kind of aspects can seldomly be regarded as bugs, but the intention in LilyPond is to provide as beatiful results as possible in as many cases as possible. If you look at the
regression tests for LilyPond at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/input/regression/collated-files
and search for test where the names start with "beam-", you will see that there are lots of
different situations that are already taken into account in the algorithms.
There are also a number of properties that can be adjusted to modify the results. You may be able to find alternative property settings that give a nicer result in this particular example but the difficult thing is to avoid that you then get an uglier
layout in other examples.

   /Mats

Patrick McCarty wrote:
Hello,

I don't know if this is a bug, so I'm posting to -devel.

In this example, are the beams supposed to be closer to the noteheads
on beats one and three?  I like the look of the beam's position for
beat two.

%% Begin
\version "2.11.63"

\relative c' {