Re: must I build?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: must I build?
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 14:50:47 +0100

I'm not sure what you mean by "write for". If you mean "working on the implementation", it's not always necessary to build the program yourself, since large parts are implemented in the Scheme programming language, which is interpreted as LilyPond runs. However, if you need to change any C++-code,
you will of course need to build the program yourself.

If you mean, "work on the user documentation", there are ways to just build
the documentation part without building the whole program, if you want to see directly what the resulting layout is.

It seems that you don't mean "writing scores using LilyPond", since you
mention that you already use the program a lot.

  /Mats

Quoting John Mangual <address@hidden>:

When you write for Lilypond, can you use the pre-compiled version or must
you build it youself?  And if you see a bug, how can you trace it?  I use
lilypond a lot for my homework assignments, but I wanted to see how the
compiler works.
- John