Calling .py scripts in buildscripts?

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Calling .py scripts in buildscripts?
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 17:06:17 +0100

I just noted that the makefiles call all python scripts directly, rather than
the "compiled" version in out. In particular, during the build, lilypond-book
or lys-to-tely will be called as:
python $(script-dir)/lilypond-book.py ...
python $(buildscript-dir)/lys-to-tely.py ...

Is there any particular reason, why we can't call the compiled versions
$(script-dir)/out/lilypond-book and $(buildscript-dir)/out/lys-to-tely? My
problem with calling the .py scripts rather than the ones in out/ is that
the .py scripts still contain @TOPLEVEL_VERSION@ and don't have access to the
current version number (which I currently need).

Cheers,
Reinhold