RE: Why do so many newcomers post to bug-lilypond?

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: RE: Why do so many newcomers post to bug-lilypond?
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 12:38:28 -0800 (PST)

Devels,

Has anybody mentioned this? I think it might explain the
newbie-congestion at bug-lilypond.

in the "Support" section of the FAQ
( http://lilypond.org/web/about/faq ) it says this (exactly):

Help, I can't get it to install or compile. Where do I get help?

  If you have a binary package which does not install correctly,
  or if you have trouble while following the instructions, then
  send a full bug-report to our bug list. Of course you can also
  write to the lilypond-user list for help.

The word "bug-report" links to the bug-lilypond posting-form at
gmane. In addition to that, the "lilypond-user" link doesn't even
work!

The link
  http://postgmane.org/post.php?group=gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.general
is missing a period; it should be
  http://post.gmane.org/post.php?group=gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.general

I propose that the bug-report clause be removed from this section.
The bug-lilypond link is already mentioned in the section
"I found a bug" (where it should be). The paragraph then would be:

  If you have a binary package which does not install correctly,
  or if you have trouble while following the instructions, then
  write to the lilypond-user list for help.

...with the "lilypond-user" link being fixed of course.

Hope this helps.
- Mark