Re: Proposal for "Getting Help" page for LilyPond web site

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: Proposal for "Getting Help" page for LilyPond web site
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 21:57:25 -0700

On 11/29/08 5:13 AM, "Han-Wen Nienhuys" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 3:53 PM, Carl D. Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I'm not sure who is currently managing the development of the main LilyPond
>> web page, so I'm not sure who this should be addressed to.
>>
>> I just went to the LilyPond web site with the idea in mind of being a
>> totally new user, perhaps even a Windows user who has never jumped into the
>> Linux/Open Source/GDP community before.  I was a bit surprised by what I
>> found (or didn't find).  There was nothing on the front page about getting
>> help.
>

>> What if we put a link under Quick Links on the main page, titled Getting
>> Help, which pointed to a Getting Help page?
>
> How about adding some sort of story-line to the getting help-section
> of the page?  This would add to the current 2 story lines, which are
> the essay and the crash-course. How many resources do we have
> nowadays?   It could be a set of pages which makes sense if read in
> sequence

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "the getting help section of the
page".  I haven't been able to find anything titled "getting help".

There is the Introduction section, which has the essay, testimonials, the
brief tour, the crash course, the FAQ, and the download link.  But there's
nothing there with the title "getting help", and I think that title is
important.

Oops - I just found a User Help page (under Download).  The link (in the
navigation bar) is titled "User help"; the page title is "LilyPond - Usage",
and the Heading is "Using LilyPond".  This page has the Tutorial (which
points to the 2.10 documentation), a link to the documentation, a discussion
about the -user list, and a discussion about the announce list.  This has
much of the information I wanted to have on the Getting Help page, but it's
hard to find and has a mixed message from the link, the title, and the
heading.

I'm sure this could all be improved with the future GWP.  I think we ought
to have a band-aid while we wait, with a prominent link from the home page
called "Getting Help" or something like that.  I'd have a draft up if I
could get the darn inkscape to work from a shell on my Mac.

Thanks,

Carl