Re: high-quality typesetting within lilypond

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: high-quality typesetting within lilypond
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 10:24:00 -0200

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 6:52 AM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>> > Do you refer to engineering documents made with LaTeX, or to the
>> > engineering of LaTeX itself?
>>
>> The latter.
>
> Please explain.

TeX:

8 letter font names for dos compatibility.  kpathsea. zillions of TeX
specific font encodings. DVIPS and MF round dimensions at will.
kpathsea. string substitution language. zillions of slightly different
forks (omega, nts, pdftex), weird buildchain (with fmt files, weave).

As for LaTeX: Zillions of packages with zillions of versions that
interact with each other unpredictably.

See also http://science.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=628691&cid=24380235
for a more articulate answer.  My desire to go back to TeX for text is
zero.

I've been looking a bit at

  http://ant.berlios.de/

which seems a lot nicer, but not sure if and how we should integrate a
typesetting engine in LilyPond at all.