Re: Diatonic notation system

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Diatonic notation system
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 13:58:02 +0100

On 9 Dec 2008, at 13:42, Graham Breed wrote:
And key signatures make the notes sound different.

Yes, and it's a classic cause of errors in performance, despite the
key being reinforced by the music.

If you don't know how to read them.

Even if you know how to read them you are likely to make mistakes.

Not using key signatures will not solve that problem.

They always, or even generally, write in major keys.  Willaert, in
particular, was writing before major keys were defined.  But let's
assume they'd notate it as just intonation.

But the question is how to notate a change a key from C to D.

Write different notes?

Rather which accidentals do you use?

No, the first two m M are used generate the staff system and sharps and
flats.

Then one add a suitable number of neutrals n_1, ..., n_k to get the
intermediate pitches.

For example, putting n = M3 - M gives an accidental suitable for Just
relative Pythagorean.

Sorry, I was wrong.  You do have more generators.

Only that I give them variable names, and consider the linear algebra they generate.

If it now can produce other than multiple of 12.

Do you have evidence that it ever didn't work?

I attached file, you can try to tweak it into proper E53 if you like.

What does E53 have to with anything?  We were talking about correct
transposition.

If transposition calls for say a comma below an m, and that m is computed not against E53, but E12, I think there might be an error. I leave it to you figure out. By contrast, if it is in E53, then I know it is right, and I do not have to do that exercise.

C to C# is M - m, C to Db is m.

C to an E31 above C#, can be described as a double flat. double sharp, or by
adding a neutral second, all having different musical function.

No, not an E31.  An enharmonic diesis.

Since the name diesis has many uses, you will have to elaborate.

m is not a double flat.
2(m-M) would be a double flat.  m is not a double sharp.  2(M-m) would
be a double sharp.

In E31m these are 4 tonesteps, so the difference with M is one E31 tonestep.

Adding a neutral second to what?  m is not a
neutral second.  m is, in fact, m.  How does abstract m and M
distinguish it from m?

If you want to have the tonestep between Db and D, that is a neutral second, generating a symbol for an intermediate pitch.

But i want to find out how you want to notate it: as E53 with intermediate pitches or a system where the note names have different interval values.

I'm not writing it.  If I did I'd probably use Pythagorean notation
with a comma accidental.

So that would then work with the method I gave.

  Hans