Re: why is Dutch the default language for note-entry?

From: demery
Subject: Re: why is Dutch the default language for note-entry?
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 21:28:16 -0000

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008, Hans Aberg <address@hidden> said:

> On 18 Dec 2008, at 20:40, <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Unicode is a good solution for recording the result internally

> Right. So the best one can hope for is a series of keyboard maps that
> perhaps unify groups of characters, that those that so like may use.

The issue is to create a UTF-8 text file with linguistic content from
several writing scripts, right?  Choose an OS and a text processor that
supports that and you have whatever you need for lyrics and other
arbitrary text.

Keywords are a different issue.  Yes, it is a bit strange that parts of Ly
are english and other parts are not.  Ly is the first programming language
I have seen which allows a choice of language for programming keywords.

Macintosh Fonts with unusual encodings (eg, IPA) can include a key-glyph
mapping table (KCHR reseource) that the OS automagically employs when the
typing focus is directed at a field employing that font ('Font' menu has
it checked).  The KCHR resource is something human beings can create (with
effort) using ResEdit or Resourcerer; I think Fontographer will also make
one.

Mac, and maybe PC, used to have utillities which would allow you to
program the F-keys so they would execute macros (perhaps typing arbitrary
text).  Might be that this is no longer feasible because of improved
memory protection under OS X, dunno.  F1-12, hmmm, twelve keys...

> On the other hand, it is easy to switch keyboard maps, on mine it is
> <command><space>.

Used to be <command><space> cycled between installed scripts, rotating the
chosen font and associated KCHR.  Confusing if you have more than two
installed.

> I do not know what they [chinese] use - check on the Unicode list.

I was refering to historical chinese typesetting, ca 1300 AD; before
computers.  OT digression, sorry.

Google on 'Pinyin' gets hits on description of some of the Chinese input
methods for the terminally curious.
--
Dana Emery