Re: Page turn breaking blank pages

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Re: Page turn breaking blank pages
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 12:30:39 +0100

Le 14 déc. 08 à 21:12, Joe Neeman a écrit :

This gives good results, however,
the page-turn page breaking algorithm adds blank pages at some places,
for instance, just before the last page of a bookpart, which gives an
awkward result:
 _4_  _5_    _6_  _7_    _8_
|===||===| |===|| | |===| (then the beginning of the next part on
|===||===|  |===||   |  |===|  the following odd page)
|===||===|  |===||   |  |===|
 ---  ---    ---  ---    ---

This is awkward not just because of bookparts, right? If these four
pages were the whole book, you would also want to avoid the blank page. Can you check that the blank page is there if this is the whole book (it
should be, because the page breaker shouldn't see anything different)?

Indeed. Here is an example demonstrating this behavior:
  <http://nicolas.sceaux.free.fr/tmp/test-page-turn.ly>
  <http://nicolas.sceaux.free.fr/tmp/test-page-turn.pdf>
Two consecutive odd pages are left blanck.

Do you really need both chunks? I would expect the second chunk to be
enough since it disables all inserting of blank pages.

[patch]

The two chunks were needed, with the second one only the algorithm
seemed to confuse odd and even pages, and sometimes would place nice
page turns between even and odd pages, and not so nice ones between
odd and even pages (unless I messed up my tests of course.) Anyway
the results seemed different.

Nicolas