Re: definitive git instructions

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: definitive git instructions
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 15:50:57 +0100

Le vendredi 26 décembre 2008 à 17:18 -0800, Graham Percival a écrit :
> I want to clear this up and get the first piece of new content for
> the new GOP website.  With a modern version of git (whatever that
> means), what's the recommended way to get:
>
> 1.  The master branch of the source tree.

The method described in web:README and master:Documentation/TRANSLATION
still works, but with Git 1.5.6.6, git-remote does the job well.  I've
simplified instructions in README (in branch web), do you think it's
clear enough?  For getting branch FOO you'd do

mkdir lily ; cd lily # use whichever directory name you prefer
git init-db
git remote add -f -t FOO origin git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git/
git checkout -b FOO origin/FOO

The two last commands may be repeated with another branch to get extra
branches into the same Git repository.

> 2.  All branches of lilypond.

The "git clone" method.  I've not used this for ages, so I don't know
how this command automagically set up remotes to pull and push easily.
Git experts might tell you :-)

> Is there much of a difference (in download size) between #1 and
> #2?

The main difference is the web branch and gub branch, as long as other
program sources branches have not diverged significantly from master.  I
don't know how big this difference is.

>   If somebody wants to fix bugs and update the website, is it
> better to grab all the branches (is that clone?), or keep two
> separate source directories (~/src/lilypond-main/ and
> ~/src/lilypond-web/ )?

You should have two separate directories to avoid always switching
between the web site and Lily sources; you can have this with two
separate Git repositories, or by creating subrepositories -- the latter
is documented in Documentation/TRANSLATION.  I guess it's easier for Git
beginners not to fiddle with subrepositories.

Cheers,
John