Re: Learning Manual TOC missing subsubsubsections

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Learning Manual TOC missing subsubsubsections
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 19:30:23 -0000

Carl D. Sorensen wrote Friday, January 02, 2009 1:44 PM

On 1/2/09 2:32 AM, "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:

Carl D. Sorensen wrote Thursday, January 01, 2009 10:52 PM

On 1/1/09 11:25 AM, "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:

I think we already have clear standards for revision under GOP -- they're the same as for the GDP. Unless you are proposing different standards for
the LM and the NR.  If that's the case, then ignore my comments, because
I'd
be fine with your standards if they apply only to the LM.  If they apply
the NR, I think it would be a mistake to undo what we did with the GDP.

So ignore the rest of my comments if you intend them to apply to the LM
only.

Yes, NR 1 & 2 are fine.  I was suggesting a slight variation
on them for the LM and later chapters of the NR, since here
a lot of the text does not need to be subdivided or ToC'd.
The formatting of NR 1 & 2 is clear; it is the rest of the
manual and the LM which is rather variable at present and I
wanted to have a clear policy written down before these sections
are firmed up.

I think we should maintain the NR standards throughout the NR. For example,
NR 6 is currently *not* organized according to the NR standards, so there
are places where an additional menu layer needs to be added. But I had the
same problem when writing chords.itely, and I think the resulting
consistency in the manual is well worth maintaining.

I agree; that's why it is important to set out the standards
clearly and to ensure they are consistent with clarity.  Look
at chapter 3.  It would be silly to invent @unnumberedsubsubsecs
for the sections there; they don't need it.  I think the standards
must accommodate the needs of the documentation, and must not
be so rigid that clarity is compromised.

Trevor