Re: contributor/user split in docs

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: contributor/user split in docs
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 00:46:45 +0000

In message <address@hidden>, John Mandereau <address@hidden> writes
I keep all my svn/git checkouts on /sd, of course.  I suppose
there's plenty of disk space to compile stuff on it, but...
630 Mhz.

This is the frequency in idle state, it should increase to 900 MHz every
time the CPU becomes busy.  It may take 3 hours to build all of LilyPond
and documentation on your computer from a clean tree, which is
reasonable if you do it once a week and rely on unclean builds the rest
of the time; it would between 1 and 2 days to build all GUB, which less
reasonable.

You don't say how much ram you've got. Can you upgrade it?

  And I don't like pushing the hardware on this thing,
since I'm in serious trouble if anything happens to it.

I've pushed my Celeron M with 504 MB RAM (8 MB for shared video mem) for
3 years with various big CPU-consuming tasks (compiling Gnome, Gentoo,
Linux kernel as Fedora RPM, LilyPond and the doc, and (unsuccesfully)
GUB), the fan has always been noisy and it was often hot enough to heat
my room.  I had to replace the DVD drive recently, but besides this that
box still works well, especially with Fedora 10.

My Athlon runs at 1050MHz, and I have 768Mb RAM. I've just worked out (with Gentoo) how to use tmpfs for /var/tmp/portage, and builds fly ... I recently rebuilt kde-base, firefox and x-org-base and it did it pretty fast.

I don't know how easily you could modify your system to use temporary space for the build, but if you've got spare ram capacity and can use a tmpfs, it makes things a LOT faster - basically doing all the work in RAM and dodging disk latencies almost entirely (just be warned, the default tmpfs size is half of ram - I allocated 10Gb to my swap partition then wondered why my tmpfs partition crashed out at 100% full :-)

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden