Re: Directory name of aux is invalid

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Directory name of aux is invalid
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 08:49:26 -0000

John Mandereau Tuesday, January 06, 2009 12:06 AM

Le lundi 05 janvier 2009 à 15:32 +0000, Trevor Daniels a écrit :
I have a git problem with your recent commit
c553fc2251b508befebd1dc297c4baa898463f34 to clean up the build scripts.

The reason is that aux is a reserved word in Windows, along with a few
others like com, lpt1, nul, prn, Lpt4, and no directory can be given these
names.  The effect is that I can't update my git repository from
origin/master, which in turn means I can't push.

Aargh.  This commit also implies creation of scripts/aux/.  I don't
enjoy so much saying this, but the limitation we hit is worthwhile:
Windows sucks, I wish there were only Unix OSes. :-)

I can't really apologise for Windows, and I wasn't aware of this
limitation until I hit this problem and investigated, but I'm sorry
this has caused you extra work.

Do you have any suggestions to get round this?

What about replacing aux/ with auxiliar/ or helper/?  "auxiliar" is the
Spanish for "to aid", it's only one character shorter than "auxiliary",
but it's nicer than ugly abbreviations longer than "aux" like "auxi" or
"auxil".  Well, this is kind of urgent for you Trevor, so let's not
discuss too long: I'm renaming "aux" to "auxiliar".

The precise name is not very important.

I was worried I might not be able to get past the commit when I
updated my local repository, thinking git might still try to create
/aux before renaming it, but a reset hard to the new head seems
to have been effective.  Looks like I'm back in business!

Many thanks, John!  And my apologies again for the trouble.

Trevor