Re: Frogs: oldaddlyrics in music-functions-init.ly

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Frogs: oldaddlyrics in music-functions-init.ly
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 09:37:32 -0000

Carl D. Sorensen wrote Wednesday, January 07, 2009 4:37 AM

On 1/6/09 9:32 PM, "Valentin Villenave" <address@hidden> wrote:

2009/1/6 Carl D. Sorensen <address@hidden>:

Then you create a symbolic link in the main binary lilypond directory to the ly/, scm/ and input/ directories from your git repository. Now, although
the directories are actually in your git repository, they appear to the
binary to be in the binary directory. And everything works just as if you
had built it from your git repository.

Hm. Does Windows have symlinks now?

cygwin does, which is where I used them.

According to Wikipedia, Vista supports sym links, and XP supports junctions, which only work with directories, but that's what we need to do for this bit
of magic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_link

It's not quite that easy. You have to have the Create
Symbolic Link privilege to use mklink to create a
symbolic link.  This is only available by default to
"elevated" admistrators.  To obtain that privilege
you have to use the Local Security Policy management
console, which is not distributed with Vista Home.
There is a utility, ntrights.exe, in the Windows
Server 2003 Resource Kit, apparently, which can also
be used to do this, but this is not distributed with
Vista Home either.  I gave up at that point, as there
is an easier way:

Simply rename (for example) the scm directory in
Program Files and copy in the scm directory with
contents from the git repository.  You need basic
administrator privileges to do this, but this is
easy to obtain.  Be sure to use the copy mechanism
in Windows Explorer to do this.  If you use Save as
from an editor the copy may be placed in the
Program Files VirtualStore, which will work but will
give you problems later.

Trevor