Re: Learning manual addition (Section 5.1.2)

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: Learning manual addition (Section 5.1.2)
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 22:02:04 +0000

In message <address@hidden>, Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> writes
I would soften the formulation a bit, for example replacing
"When ... into a variable", wrap ..." by
"When ... into a variable, it is recommended to wrap ..."

Fine, that's okay :-)

After all, this is just a recommended practice, it's not the
one and only way to do things. Especially, I'm not sure I
see the point of going via C if I for example want to transpose
a piece for B clarinet into A clarinet. Rather, it would give me
a doubled chance to mix the "from" and "to"  arguments.

And what happens if you're transposing from Bf Trombone to Ef :-)

You're going to get into a wonderful mess if you forget which key your original music is in ...

I know the trombone is an unusual instrument in that sense, playing in both Bf and C, but that's why I said "always convert to C".

To my mind, "always convert via C" means I don't get confused as to which pitch a piece of music is in. (And as I said, it makes it easy to print a score in concert). It's just a case of being consistent, and if you re-use the music you don't have to ask yourself "was the original in (in your example) B or A?". You know your variable is in C.

 /Mats

Cheers,
Wol

Trevor Daniels wrote:
Thanks Anthony - I'll add it as you suggest.

Trevor

----- Original Message ----- From: "Anthony W. Youngman" <address@hidden>