Re: ideas for Google Summer of Code

From: Anne Ghisla
Subject: Re: ideas for Google Summer of Code
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 14:42:33 +0100

On Friday 16 January 2009 13:11:12 Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> Am Freitag, 16. Januar 2009 schrieb Johannes Schindelin:
> > >
> > > Sorry, but from my experience with mentoring KDE projects, this is not
> > > really true. It mostly depends on the student, of course, but the main
> > > point is that the student can easily contact the mentor (some short IRC
> > > sessions have proved to be extremely productive). The mentor doesn't
> > > have to be available full time or even work on the project full time.
> > > He rather needs to have a thorough knowledge of how to proceed and
> > > provide the correct pointers. The rest is usually figured out by the
> > > student anyway. At least these are my experiences.

I agree about that, my mentor gave me mainly indications on work to to, we had
a IRC meeting at least once a week to set goals and examine problems, that's
all.

> > - it is relatively hard to come up with a project that is neither too
> >   small nor too big for 3 months, from what I see in LilyPond,
>
> I don't think this is a big problem. It's up to the project to judge the
> success of the student: If the problem was too large, but the student still
> managed to do a substantial amount, even though it's not finished, we can
> still declare it a success. Similarly, if the student runs out of work, I'm
> sure we can find something related to keep him/her busy for the rest of the
> SoC...

I agree here too. I intentionally chose a project smaller than I could afford,
first because it involved Python and I never programmed in Python before,
second to have some time left to solve unexpected difficulties.
This has been a successful choice: I ended the hard-coding part soon after
mid-term evaluation, so I had time to polish code, do extensive testing and
successfully end SoC.

> > - the natural mentor for any LilyPond project says he's not available
>
> Yes, that's the main bottleneck. For example, the MusicXML output backend
> would be a very good project, but I doubt that anyone other than Han-Wen
> could possibly mentor it...

As I said above, what I expect from a mentor is to know enough about the
project to gave advices and keep me coding in the right direction.
I also have quite a long time before SoC to get used of LilyPond development,
therefore I can be operative from the beginning of the program.

> So what? LilyPond would be under the umbrella of GNU, which will get
> awarded a fixed number of students. So, inside GNU, we'll simply have to
> argue why we also need a student. We can even argue that the other projects
> already benefitted from the SoC in the previous years, while LilyPond
> didn't. So to be fair, Lilypond should also get a student...

IMHO, we can talk a lot about what could happen. Why don't we act as the
application could be accepted? If it is, we will be ready to work on the
project and have good chances to succeed; if not, I will anyway contribute to
LilyPond as a volunteer.
I have to tell you that last year I proposed an application just for bet. See
the result: development is still undergoing :) [0]

> Shouldn't we start collecting possible project ideas (not only for SoC, but
> for any possible newcomer to LilyPond, so that we don't have to point them
> to the bug tracker telling him/her to simply choose a bug and work on that,
> which can be cathastrophic if you don't know the internals yet)? How about
> a page in our wiki?

Good idea! The bug list is sometimes misleading, maybe a bug looks trivial but
it requires lot of internals knowledge. This list can help me to pick up a
suitable idea.

regards,

Anne

[0] http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/GSoC2008Rbinding

Please do not send attachments in proprietary formats
Use the UNI CEI Standard ISO/IEC 26300:2006
O< stop html mail - http://www.asciiribbon.org