Re: CM 1.1 git question

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: CM 1.1 git question
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 10:49:46 -0600

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
Hi.

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009, Jonathan Kulp wrote:

Am I correct in thinking that [git format-patch] creates the patch by comparing my local (changed) file with the corresponding file in the remote git repository?

No, it creates patches from commits.  So you use Git as usual:

        (inspect your changes)
        $ git diff
        (stage the modified files)
        $ git add <files>
        (commit the stuff)
        $ git commit
        (now generate patches from, say, the last 3 commits)
        $ git format-patch -3

From the rest of your mail I see that you made work hard on yourself by
not using Git at all...

Ciao,
Dscho

I don't have commit privileges. Is this commit command a local commit or...where does it commit to? Frankly I'm scared of committment. :) I also don't understand which files it's comparing. When you decide to edit a file, do you work directly on that file or do you create a working copy or a backup or what?

Here's my workflow. If you have time, please show how I should modify it to use the git stuff instead, but I haven't found it to be tedious at all:

1. Find a typo in a doc
2. git pull origin (to make sure I have the latest of everything)
3. find the sourcefile where the typo is: foobar.itely
4. make a working copy of that file: foobarB.itely
5. fix the typo in foobarB.itely
6. Preview changes by running texi2html. If all is well, proceed...
7. create patch by doing
        diff -u foobar.itely foobarB.itely > foobar.patch

8. send patch to someone with commit privileges

Done.

Thanks y'all,

JOn
--