Here, froggie froggies... python update-texinfo-menus

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Here, froggie froggies... python update-texinfo-menus
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 20:08:11 +0800

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 10:35:54PM -0300, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> -master/Documentation/devel/compiling.itexi:2: warning: unreferenced
> node `Compiling from source'.
> makeinfo: Removing output file `out/contrib-guide.txt' due to errors;
> use --force to preserve.

As it happens, this one was from a different source file so it
doesn't apply here, but these errors can normally be avoided with
the emacs texinfo-update-all-menus macros.

Unfortunately, this has two problems:
1)  the macro adds whitespace to the ends of lines, which causes
problems in git when a text editor removes said space.
2)  it requires emacs, which is a maoing pain to me since I have
to download+install the whole 100 megs that emacs requires[*].

Could some Frog who knows python tackle this problem and write a
script which does the same thing as texinfo-update-all-menus, but
without the trailing whitespace?  I estimate it'll take 2-4 hours
for somebody familiar with python.
(and yes, if you can do it in 20 minutes, go ahead and do it and
boast in my face about how you're such a better programmer than
me.  I'll gladly bear the shame if it solves this problem[+].  :)

* yes, this is an "I use vi, and I'm a jerk" joke.

+ in fact, as a special reward, I'll add "I'm a worse programmer
than X" to my sig on all lilypond-related email lists for a week.
Of course, your solution must work perfectly -- any extra testing
or bugfixing after you send your finished verson will be counted
towards your time.  :)