Re: Proposal for resolving Half/Quarter note ambiguity on pure tablature

From: Ricdude
Subject: Re: Proposal for resolving Half/Quarter note ambiguity on pure tablature staves (with partial code mod)
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 05:34:54 +0000 (UTC)

Neil Puttock <n.puttock <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I'm not sure it's the right approach to include conditional code in
> the backend which is dependent on the context; it would be simpler to
> set the flag type using a callback for the Stem object.
>
> If you have a look at the News page for version 2.12, you'll see two
> examples of custom flags, which could easily be adapted to override
> the default behaviour just for minims.

Perhaps we have different definitions of "easily" ;)

I like this approach, primarily as it keeps all the mods in my .ly files,
instead of tweaking sources...

Being a scheme newbie, I tried a quick hack job on the "weight-
flag/inverted-flag" example.  It works on TabStaffs, but I have a few
questions about the implementation:

1) Is the \autoBeamOff required?  Is there a way to allow autobeaming and
still override the flag style?

2) How does one locate the end of the stem for connecting a line to it?  For
that matter, how does indicate a line should be drawn in scheme?

3) Is there any (better) documentation of overriding default stems/flags?