Re: Suggestion for diatonic chordRootNames function

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Suggestion for diatonic chordRootNames function
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 01:32:16 +0000 (UTC)

Johannes Asal <johannes.asal <at> gmx.de> writes:

> What do you think about that as a first step:
>
> (define-public (note-name-≥roman-markup pitch root)
>   "Return roman markup for PITCH relative to ROOT."
>   (make-line-markup
>    (list
>     (make-simple-markup
>      (vector-ref #("I" "II" "III" "IV" "V" "VI" "VII") (modulo (-

If this is not in a .ly file, you should change the # character in the line
above to  a ' character (single quote).

> (ly:pitch-notename pitch) (ly:pitch-notename root)) 7) ))
>      (accidental->markup (ly:pitch-alteration pitch)))))

This seems like a possible solution.  Has it been tested to make sure it
works for all keys?

You can add this as a snippet to the LSR (which is easy to do,
but hard to use), or you can finish the job to make it part of the
distribution.

To make it part of the distribution, you'll have to add the function
to the file scm/chord-name.scm.

Then you'll have to write a regression test, a short .ly file that can
be used to test the functionality.  This file should be added to
input/regression.  You can see representative regression tests
in input/regression, and use them for your template.

Then you'll have to write the documentation that will explain the
new feature.

Finally, you'll have to write a line in Documentation/topdocs/NEWS.itely
that describes the added feature.

If you're willing to do all these things, and send me a patch, I'll make
sure everything is OK and apply it.

I'll be happy to help you with any step in the process, if you'd like.
Also, there's lots of information in the Contributor's Guide to
help you get started.

<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/devel/contrib-guide/index>

Are you willing to try?

Thanks,