Re: Why is it _still_ so freaking hard to get info with images?

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Why is it _still_ so freaking hard to get info with images?
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 14:43:06 +0100

David Kastrup a écrit :
I don't think that is standard usage.  install-info would be the norm
when available.
Will fix this, but see below my request.

make install bombs out, anyway:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/tmp/lilypond/stepmake/bin/install.py", line 78, in <module>
    shutil.copy2 (f, dest)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/shutil.py", line 96, in copy2
    copyfile(src, dst)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/shutil.py", line 51, in copyfile
    fsrc = open(src, 'rb')
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: './out/CenturySchL-Ital.otf'
make[1]: *** [local-install-outfiles] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/tmp/lilypond/mf'
make: *** [install] Error 2
address@hidden:/home/tmp/lilypond$
What does "grep NCSB config.make" (at top of the build tree) does say? Are mf/out/Century*.otf files generated if you call "make" again? Did you get an error from a clean working tree, or with already a lot of
stuff in out subdirectories?

Nobody, I repeat, nobody I know _ever_ calls "make all".  What you do
instead is just to call "make" and assume that "all" will be the default
target.
In LilyPond, it is.

I am talking about compiling from source git.  There is no top-level
file INSTALL in there.  Not even after autogen.sh.  There is no README.
There is a file HACKING but it has no relevance to compiling things.
We didn't expect self-compilers to start compiling LilyPond directly with a
Git snapshot; we probably should generate README INSTALL and other top files
in out/ when running autogen.sh and inform the user.

Anyway, as it stands, there is no documentation in obvious places about
how to make things run, the build procedures are highly non-standard,
Which standard build procedure are you talking about? We organize the makefiles in an way appropriate
to the size and history of the project.

the targets are non-standard.
Please report which /end-user/ targets are non-standard besides *-install ones, which should be install-*.

I am holding a talk tomorrow about Lilypond on a Linux conference.  That
is the state I am going to report.
I hope you will report the ease of installing precompiled binaries (except for MacOSX) and unpacking
precompiled documentation available on lilypond.org.

It is a bit disappointing since the info documentation with images is
essential for really getting moving smoothly with Lilypond, and the
procedure for producing them is so broken or obfuscate that none, I
repeat none of _any_ lilypond precompilated versions that I know of
carries them, and there is no way even a clever user could be expected
to arrive at usable docs.
This is a bit biased: it works for several people, so please don't make hasty generalizations. As for shipping Info docs (and more generally compiled docs) in precompiled binaires, I'd not be surprised if the long compilation times and additional dependencies that can't be required by configure but that are listed in INSTALL/Application Usage make some packagers reluctant to do it, even in case it works out of the box -- do you know many software projects where the documentation takes something like 4 times the time for building the program? We don't get any reports for documentation compilation and installation from people outside the development team besides you, whereas we sometimes get reports about compilation issues for the main program. Does it show that packagers are a bit less concerned by distributing the
documentation?  I don't know.

I am not stupid with either Unix, make, Emacs, and environments, and I
still have no working info documentation with images: I can only use it
from some obscure Documentation/User/out tree, and then obviously
cross-file references don't work.

And that is the state after several sessions (with months in between) of
pestering developers, and of trying for quite a number of hours to get
things going myself.
If you are not willing to hack our makefiles, which I perfectly understand, please no longer try to get it work other than using documented make targets. We still welcome any constructive pestering,
though.

It is my opinion that Lilypond developers are shooting themselves quite
unnecessarily in the foot by the large discrepancy between the high
quality of the documentation and the probability of actually getting to
see it after a finite amount of effort.
Han-Wen and Jan made a huge effort to produce precompiled binaries and documentation; as they started distributing good working ones (with GUB), the continuous flow of emails about broken package for system X on arch Z suddenly decreased, and we haven't taken so much care to self-compilers because of the lack of
human resources.

Best,
John