Re: Why is it _still_ so freaking hard to get info with images?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Why is it _still_ so freaking hard to get info with images?
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 16:06:02 +0100

> 2009/3/16 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
>
>>> The problems with fixing a build system is that it is a major time
>>> sink without any obvious benefits,
>>
>> Well, one need not replace the innards.  However, adapting the names of
>> the basic targets and what they do should be reasonably easy.
>
> as always, patches will be thoughtfully considered.

It appears a bit disingenuous to me to answer "I can't figure out what
does what and why" with "congratulations, then it is your task to figure
this out to a degree where you can not merely use it, but rather
redesign and change it".

I am aware that this is the most common form of brush-off employed in
Open Source projects.  I am maintaining projects myself, and have
limited amounts of time for the maintenance.  And that means that some
things just don't get done.  But I try not blaming my users for that.
And "patches will be thoughtfully considered" is pretty close to "first
try doing all the work, and if you are lucky, we won't just chuck it
into the bin without comment".

It might just be a case of unfortunate phrasing, but I can't feel it to
be the most effective way to stoke enthusiasm.