Re: good news for my PhD

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: good news for my PhD
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 16:24:30 +0100

2009/3/18 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:

> I've been offered a scholarship to do my PhD at the University of
> Glasgow, which I'm of course eagerly accepting.  I'll be starting
> in Sep or Oct.

Oh dear, I take it you didn't fall for Singapore :)

> To tie this in with lilypond, there's good news on two fronts:
> 1)  My supervisor-to-be is a big supporter of open source; I'm sure
> that he won't mind if I take a few days off to nail some
> particularly important problem in lilypond.
> (and if nothing else, the university won't try to stop me from
> contributing to open source -- that's a nontrivial concern in my
> present gig, which is one reason that I'm not being a Frog right
> now.  If I don't produce any copyrightable source code, then its
> ownership can't be in question, right?)

Josh is right, this sentence doesn't really make sense. We recently
had a discussion about this very subject with John, who 's in the same
situation as you are, and is merely forced to contribute to
proprietary music software :-)

> It's not
> like Valentin can retroactively not act upon my suggestions.  :)

Sure. I'm quite good at not acting.

> I thought it would be neat to argue with
> Valentin face-to-face.  :)

Three words:

Bring

it