Re: an LM update

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: an LM update
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 17:03:28 -0000

James E. Bailey wrote Monday, March 23, 2009 4:45 PM

Am 23.03.2009 um 16:48 schrieb Trevor Daniels:

James E. Bailey wrote Monday, March 23, 2009 2:15 PM

In any event, hopefully this is an acceptable patch. Whether or not introduction of single-staff polyphony should be kept at this point in the LM (since doing so does not follow Documentation policy) is a
different conversation.

The good news is the patch works fine and the docs still
compile with it applied.  So I've applied it and
pushed it to origin/master.  I can't say I'm wild about it,
as it uses so many concepts which have not been introduced
at that point, so it will probably be moved when I get back
to working on the LM, but in an odd-numbered release I'm
prepared to accept it.

But, as I said before, I think that removing it altogether is also a
bad idea. Perhaps a simple warning that the section introduces
several new concepts that haven't been fully explained with links to the appropriate sections that do explain them fully would be enough.

Would you like to prepare another patch which does this?
That would be an improvement.

I don't really understand how to do links in I guess this is TexInfo (?) format.

Yes:(  Hardly the world's best mark-up language.  There's
an introduction to it in CG 3 which is sufficient for LP
docs.  (Actually I can't see the @ref{} command and friends
there.  Are they in the CG, Graham?)

I can write the paragraph explaining that it introduces concepts not yet discussed, and that it may be confusing. But the @ things just look funny to me.

They're not too bad really.  There are plenty of examples
in the docs!  Why not have a go at formatting your
paragraph?  All you need is an @ref{} to do a link to a section
in the same manual.  Just copy one of the examples.  I'll check
your patch through and make sure it compiles before pushing
it to origin/master.

Trevor