Re: Concert Pitch (a second try)

From: demery
Subject: Re: Concert Pitch (a second try)
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 18:03:08 -0000

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009, Peter Chubb <address@hidden> said:

> Here's my rough try at the three entries:

kudos Mr Chubb, trust the son of a son of a scoundrel...

I like em all, but as usual, i do have a couple of quibbles.

> Notes like a, b, c etc., describe a relationship between themselves,
> not an absolute pitch.  The nature of the relationship is the
> so-called temperament (q.v.).

is the above needed at all?

> To be in tune, a group instruments must agree
> on the relationship between pitches *and* the absolute pitch of one of
> the notes.  In recent times that pitch, `concert pitch' has been
> defined as 440Hz for the A above middle C, with other notes arranged
> according to the temperament being used.

'arranged'  strikes me as a little off somehow, maybe my confirmed inner
batchelor is shivering in fear; perhaps 'disposed', 'tuned' or 'pitched'?

we know when and by what body; might as well cite it. 1975, ISO 16, an
international standard.  Could mention that equal temperament is the
common understanding.  It doesnt affect the notation, only the tuning.

> Temperament: the relationship between different pitches in a scale.
> In the simplest case, an *equal-tempered* system has notes whose
> frequencies are in the ratio of the twelfth root of two.  Such a
> system always sounds out-of-tune, because thirds, fourths and fifths
> are not exact ratios.  However it is widely used because all notes are
> equally spaced, regardless of the starting note of a scale.

Not sure equal temp is the simplest case, common yes.  I would think
natural to be the simplest case, and let the a-capella group drift as it
will while following it.  This is a toughie to do full justice to briefly,
and the details are OT for our context (notation).   Maybe expand a tad by
nameing some of the scheme.

> Transposing Instrument:  If an instrument is usually notated at a
> pitch other than its sounding pitch (whether out of tradition, or for
> the convenience of the player) it is said to be a *transposing
> instrument.*  Bes and A Clarinets, many brass instruments, and some saxophones
> are transposing instruments.

Usually it the music which is notated?  some brass instruments are
engraved about the bell, but still :-).

perhaps this -

An instrument whose music is written transposed from its sounding pitch
..

--
Dana Emery