Re: 'avoid-slur proposals

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: 'avoid-slur proposals
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 12:47:21 -0700 (PDT)

Neil Puttock wrote:
> Adding avoid-phrasing-slur would mean duplicating all the slur
> avoidance code just for the sake of a different name.

What about making some sort of property "alias"
(don't know if that's the right word). Such that
if the parser (or interpreter or whatever) sees
'avoid-phrasing-slur, it will just operate on
'avoid-slur.

Okay, maybe I'm out of my league here, and I don't
want to waste your time. I guess from a
programming point of view, it's a low priority and
adding a explanation to the docstring may be more
practical.

> > \override PhrasingSlur #'avoid-slur = #'inside
>
> No.  The acknowledged object (Slur) does the avoidance.

IIUC, then by that logic, this shouldn't work (but it
does): \override Staff.Clef #'avoid-slur = #'inside

Perhaps I just need to accept that the current
situation is awkward...

> >> Sounds like a good idea, and only requires one extra
> >> line of code...
> >
> > Don't let me stop you! (:
>
> Why the sad face?  I'm waiting for your patch to the IR
> for 'avoid-slur. :)

I don't know how to do that. I figured making
suggestions was a better use of my time than
learning how to submit patches because I don't
know C++. But I guess you're referring to the
documentation. The other thing is that adding code
for 'ignore would have to be done at the same time
as adding the docstring for 'avoid-slur. Or so I
thought. I don't know, I guess I figured if you
already knew how to do it, it would be a lot
easier for you than for me.

By the way, it's not a sad face, it's just looking
left.

- Mark