adding snippets manually

From: Graham Percival
Subject: adding snippets manually
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 11:16:37 +0800

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 05:38:22PM -0600, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:

> In order to build my docs, I copied the file from input/new to input/lsr.
>
> I thought that the doc build process would get files from input/new if they
> didn't exist in input/lsr.
>
> Can you summarize the process for me?  If I want to add a new snippet to
> the docs, how should I do it?

With my trademarked "me-ness", the process is that you read the
bloody CG 5.
http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/devel/contrib-guide/Fixing-snippets-in-LilyPond-sources.html
http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/devel/contrib-guide/LSR-to-Git.html

That said, I must admit that CG 5 doesn't go into details of how
to manually deal with input/new to input/lsr.  The format changes
slightly.  It's dealt with the python script, but I did it by hand
a few times for small fixes.

I can't remember exactly what it was, but I think it was a matter
of changing the "tags" line.  Of course, stuff might have changed
since then (it was a year ago).  Also, I'm not certain that we
*want* to encourage people to do this by hand.

I'm also not certain that we want to encourage people to do the
lsr-to-git change.

What about stating that new features get an input/regression/
test, but further snippets wait until the lsr-to-git person looks
at it?  No wait, that's silly.

Hmm... I think the best solution would be to allow input/lsr/
snippets to be exact copies if input/regression/ stuff.  If it
*is* an exact copy (i.e. misses the tags and whatnot), then the
build system should put it in an "other" section, which
lsr-handling people would deal with later.  This way, it still
gets in the docs, but programmers don't need to deal with the
snippet suckage.

I might think about this more later.